Scott Cullen has notes on a premier prospect getting the call, changes in the Red Sox rotation, a 40-year-old getting regular at-bats and more.
- Cardinals 1B Matt Adams has been put on the DL with calf tightness, resulting in some lineup shifting, with Allen Craig moving from right field to first base, so that the Cardinals could bring up top prospect Oscar Taveras, who was the No. 3 prospect coming into the season, according to Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus. In 49 games at Triple-A, Taveras had 7 HR, 40 RBI, was hitting .325 with an .897 OPS. He's already homered in his second major-league at-bat and if Taveras keeps hitting, the Cardinals will surely find a way to keep that bat in the lineup.
- Boston's rotation is getting some new faces with LHP Felix Doubront and RHP Clay Buchholz on the DL. RHP Brandon Workman has taken one spot, but the more intriguing arm belongs to RHP Rubby De La Rosa, a power pitcher who struck out eight in seven shutout innings in his first major league start since 2011, when he underwent Tommy John surgery. De La Rosa's average fastball was 95.0 MPH, a threshold surpassed by only a handful of starters this season.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira, who has been surprisingly productive with 9 HR, 25 RBI and a .242 AVG (.847 OPS) in 37 games, has suffered a setback with his ongoing wrist issues and will be evaluated Tuesday. If Tex has to go on the DL, that likely means more playing time for Kelly Johnson at first, though the Pinstripers could also shuffle Brian McCann there on occasion to get C J.R. Murphy's bat into the lineup. Murphy has hit .348 with a .796 OPS in 18 games with the Yankees and had a .773 OPS in the minors last season (before hitting .192 with a .500 OPS in seven games at Triple-A this year).
- With Mets CF Juan Lagares joining Eric Young Jr. on the DL, there is now an opportunity for 40-year-old Bobby Abreu, who is hitting .314 with an .880 OPS this season.
- Rays RF Wil Myers is out with a sprained wrist. He's struggled, hitting .227 with a .666 OPS in 53 games. Kevin Kiermaier get a crack at regular playing time and the 24-year-old already has a couple of home runs, thoguh he's been more about speed in the minors, hitting .305 with an .823 OPS and 11 stolen bases in 34 games at Triple-A.
- Diamondbacks CF A.J. Pollock hits the DL with a broken hand, and will miss six-to-eight weeks. This creates an opportunity for 23-year-old Ender Inciarte, though he has a .380 OPS in 53 plate appearances thus far. He did hit .312 with an .807 OPS and seven steals in 26 games at Triple-A.
- With 1B Nick Swisher and DH/3B/C Carlos Santana on the DL, keep an eye on 23-year-old 1B Jesus Aguilar, who had an .889 OPS at Triple-A before getting the call to the majors, where he's managed to hit .188 with a .488 OPS in his first 20 plate appearances.
- Jeff Mathis will get some reps behind the plate for the Marlins while Jarrod Saltalamacchia recovers from a concussion. Mathis is hitting .300 with an .867 OPS this year, but he's a career .198 hitter (.573 OPS), so don't bank on that level of production continuing.
- Royals 3B Danny Valencia went on the DL with a sprained left hand, giving Mike Moustakas a quick reprieve from his demotion to Triple-A. Moustakas mashed at Triple-A, hitting .355 with a .960 OPS in eight games, but he's been brutal with the Royals, hitting .148 with a .531 OPS.
- Dodgers LF Carl Crawford has a sprained ankle, opening the door for Andre Ethier to get regular at-bats, playing centre field while Matt Kemp handles left. Ethier has hit a career-low .256 with a .708 OPS this season, but had an .826 OPS in May following a tough start (.618 OPS in March/April).
GOOD ADDS (Available in at least 40% of TSN leagues)
Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B/1B, Cleveland - 3 HR, 16 RBI, .361 AVG, 22 R, 133 AB (Available: 41.6%)
Brock Holt, 3B, Boston - 1 HR, 11 RBI, .337 AVG, 12 R, 86 AB (Available: 96.4%)
Lorenzo Cain, CF, Kansas City - 2 HR, 19 RBI, .328 AVG, 12 R, 122 AB (Available: 71.4%)
Michael Saunders, RF, Seattle - 3 HR, 22 RBI, ..275 AVG, 24 R, 131 AB (Available: 86.8%)
Kolten Wong, 2B, St. Louis - 0 HR, 11 RBI, .268 AVG, 12 R, 8 SB, 123 AB (Available: 72.5%)
Collin McHugh, RHP, Houston - 3-3, 2.80 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 50 K, 45 IP (Available: 80.9%)
Jaime Garcia, LHP, St. Louis - 1-0, 4.12 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 19 K, 19 2/3 IP (Available: 72.5%)
Cody Allen, RHP, Cleveland - 2-1, 3.24 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 29 K, 23 1/3 IP (Available: 65.0%)
Scott Cullen can be reached at Scott.Cullen@bellmedia.ca and followed on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tsnscottcullen. For more, check out TSN Fantasy on Facebook.