ESPN Classic FAQ
Here at ESPN Classic we do our best to bring you the best in classic sports. Over the course of the past several years we've been asked about few specific games and events that we would truly love to air but either cannot find them or have found incomplete tapes. Some examples are as follows:
- Darryl Sittler 10-Point Game (Feb 20, 1976) - Unfortunately, like many games from the 70's, the tapes were either erased or recycled. At this time we have not been able to track down an individual or an organization that has the tapes. Many would also be surprised to know that the complete Game 4 of the 1970 Stanley Cup Final featuring Bobby Orr's famous overtime Cup-winning goal does not exist.
- Wayne Gretzky's 50th goal in 39 Games (Dec 30, 1981) - Another monumental game that does not exist in its entirety. There are highlights only.
- 1985 AL East Clinching Game, Yankees vs. Blue Jays (Oct 5, 1985) - Believe it or not this too only exists as a highlight reel.
- 1971 Grey Cup, Calgary vs. Toronto (Nov 28, 1971) - The last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter are missing.
- 1984 Grey Cup, Hamilton vs. Winnipeg (Nov 18, 1984) - The last half of the 4th quarter is missing.
Why Doesn't ESPN Classic Show Complete NFL Games?
Unlike the NHL and CFL games seen on ESPN that are original network broadcasts cut down into 2-hour programs, NFL Classics are shown exclusively as part of the NFL Films Library. ESPN Classic holds rights to NFL Films programming and is proud to have them as part of our broadcast schedule. While the NFL Network has recently re-aired old Super Bowl games in their entirety, it is unlikely that other broadcasters will be granted permission to do the same anytime soon.
Will ESPN Classic be showing more Soccer?
ESPN Classic was pleased to be able to bring our viewers Classic FA Cup Soccer from 2001 to 2005. The games were fairly well received but once our rights agreement expired we took the time re-organize our priorities concerning the sport. We are pleased to announce that we will be programming Classic games from the European Championships leading into Euro 2008, which will be seen on TSN. Please keep your eyes open for exciting action from Euro 1996, Euro 2000, and Euro 2004.
When Will ESPN Classic's Broadcast Schedule be Available On-line?
Many of our viewers have asked us about our schedule. Our web-people are feverishly working to be able to present Classic's schedule as TSN's is presented at tsn.ca. We hope that you will be able to click on the broadcast schedule for our network in the near future.
If you have any other questions about ESPN Classic please feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.