Golf

McIlroy confirms he'll attempt to defend Australian Open title

{eot}
The Canadian Press
8/5/2014 11:02:43 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

SYDNEY - Rory McIlroy has confirmed he'll return to defend his Australian Open title in November.

Top-ranked McIlroy, coming off victories at the British Open and the WGC Bridgestone Invitational, on Wednesday said he'll contest the Australian tournament from Nov. 27-30 in Sydney.

The 25-year-old Northern Irishman won the title last year by a stroke over Australia's Adam Scott and credited the victory with helping him regain his form and momentum.

In a statement, McIlroy says the crowds "really loved the showdown between myself and Adam. And it proved to be a really important win for me."

McIlroy led from start to finish at Hoylake to win the British Open, then overpowered Firestone last weekend to win his first World Golf Championship. Now he is the overwhelming favourite at the PGA Championship.

Rory McIlroy (Photo: Canadian Press)

zoom

(Photo: Canadian Press)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story


PGA Tour Canada

Robert Thompson takes a look at the top five golfers overall and top five Canadians on the PGA Tour Canada.


PGA Tour Canada Player Profiles

PGA Tour Canada Player Tracker

Canadian World Rankings

VIDEO: Great Moments from PGA Tour Canada

© 2014
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television