Mixed Martial Arts

Silva beats Browne in first round at UFC's FX 5

The Canadian Press
10/6/2012 2:47:30 AM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

MINNEAPOLIS -- For heavyweight Antonio Silva (17-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC), the second time proved to be the charm.

Following a disappointing loss to Cain Velasquez in his UFC debut, the Brazilian "Bigfoot" bounced back in impressive fashion with a first-round TKO win over Travis Browne (13-1-1 MMA, 4-0-1 UFC) in the main event of Friday's UFC on FX 5 event.

It was Browne who appeared the more dangerous fighter in the early going, as he fired off powerful overhand rights and teased a few leaping and spinning kicks. Unfortunately, Browne blew out his left knee on one of the first high kicks of the fight, and his mobility would be hampered for the remainder of the contest. Silva simply covered up to defend the strikes and patiently moved forward while looking for an opportunity to unleash.

That moment finally came as the two started to open up with powerful punches in the pocket. Both landed with crisp right hands, but Browne's left leg buckled as his opponent pushed in, and after Silva landed another powerful right to the chin, he pushed his opponent to the floor and followed with nasty hammerfists on the floor. Referee Herb Dean gave Browne a chance to recover, but he simply covered up on the floor, and the bout was halted at 3:45 of the opening frame.

With the much-need win, Silva snapped a two-fight losing streak and posted his first UFC victory.

"I knew I couldn't make any mistakes," Silva said after the fight. "For me, it was kill or die. I killed."

In his first opportunity as a UFC headliner, Browne -- who refused to blame his injury for the defeat -- sees a three-fight win streak snapped and can no longer claim an unbeaten record.

"I'm just ready to come back and heal up," Browne said. "I'm still the same fighter. I'm going to come back even more pissed off and fighter harder next time. I hate losing."

In the night's co-main event, welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) earned a unanimous decision over Jay Hieron (23-6 MMA, 0-3 UFC) in a rematch of the pair's 2006 International Fight League contest.

While the contest matched two 170-pounders with impressive records, the bout was a rather tentative affair. Hieron appeared a bit faster in the cage and offered up an impressive array of spinning strikes and kicks to all levels, but he was never really able to land flush. Meanwhile, Ellenberger was content to attack patiently from the outside. While the strategy was effective in scoring points with the judges, it resulted in few highlight-worthy moments.

Nevertheless, Ellenberger earned a win over the first man to ever defeat him and at 7-1 in his past eight fights remains relevant in the UFC's 170-pound title picture. Hieron, competing in the UFC for the first time since 2005, remains winless in the octagon.

"I was doing a lot of defence and counter training for this fight," Ellenberger said after the win. "Jay's a well-rounded fighter. He is quick, athletic and dangerous. It was hard to come into this fight with a gameplan for him.

"It's back to training for me and finding ways to keep improving and making adjustments to my game. It does feel good though to get this win."

Earlier in the night, "The Ultimate Fighter 14" winner John Dodson (14-5 MMA, 3-0 UFC) earned the right to face flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson with a second-round TKO win over promotional newcomer Jussier Formiga (14-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC).

The bout wasn't initially well received from the Target Center crowd, who booed early and often when the pair felt each other out for the majority of the opening round. However, the action picked up in the second frame, and Dodson began to find a home for his left hand.

Formiga recovered from a knockdown early in the round, but Dodson kept the pressure high and scored with another powerful left in the final minute. The Brazilian grappler toppled to the floor, and Dodson rushed in with a barrage of powerful follow-up punches that forced referee Daryl Guthmiller to halt the fight with 25 seconds left in the second round.

Less than one year after making his debut, Dodson will now challenge for the UFC's 125-pound title. A date for the contest has not been determined, but "The Magician" promised a memorable clash with an equally speedy opponent.

"It's going to be a super-fast fight you've never seen," Dodson said. "You guys have this on DVR, and please rewind it and watch it in slow motion."

UFC on FX 5 had two bouts scrapped in the final 24 hours before the event, as Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares and Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens were both cancelled.

The former was scratched when Hallman failed to make weight at Thursday's ceremony and then promptly returned home to Washington to deal with what he said were "serious personal family matters." The latter was nixed when Stephens was arrested Friday morning for an out-of-state felony warrant.

Antonio Silva (Photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)


(Photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story

Have Your Say


A week before his light heavyweight title defence at UFC 172, Jon Jones told TSN.ca that one of the most exciting parts of his career is "just breaking records, you know?" After retaining his title for a record seventh time, it's time to take a look at what the Rochester native has accomplished and ask, is he the best ever? More...

© 2014
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television