Mixed Martial Arts

UFC fighter Silva facing sanctions after avoiding drug test

{eot}
The Canadian Press
6/18/2014 7:49:02 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Nevada regulators are considering sanctions against an Ultimate Fighting Championship star accused of avoiding an official who showed up unannounced at his gym to collect a sample to test for banned substances.

Nevada Athletic Commission Chairman Francisco Aguilar said Wednesday the panel could act next month on a complaint against Wanderlei Silva.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that attorney Ross Goodman, representing Silva, conceded during a Tuesday commission hearing that Silva left the building through a back door and should have submitted to the drug test.

The commission also issued a temporary suspension for 37-year-old UFC light heavyweight Chael Sonnen who retired after testing positive for banned substances in a random test last month.

Silva and Sonnen had been scheduled to fight July 5 at the Mandalay Bay resort.

Wanderlei Silva  (Photo: The Canadian Press)

zoom

(Photo: The Canadian Press)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story



Have Your Say

Weigh-In

A week before his light heavyweight title defence at UFC 172, Jon Jones told TSN.ca that one of the most exciting parts of his career is "just breaking records, you know?" After retaining his title for a record seventh time, it's time to take a look at what the Rochester native has accomplished and ask, is he the best ever? More...

© 2014
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television