Good news for one goaltender has brought bad news for another.
With Canucks' goalie Roberto Luongo set to return to action Thursday after missing nearly two months with a groin injury, the team placed Curtis Sanford on waivers Wednesday.
CKNW in Vancouver reports that Sanford, who shared the goaltending duties with Jason Labarbera and Cory Schneider with Roberto Luongo on the shelf, will be sent to the Manitoba Moose of the AHL and the Canucks will try to accomodate a trade for him if he goes unclaimed.
"I had no issues and I felt pretty good in practice today as far as timing-wise, so yeah, I'm ready to go for tomorrow," said Luongo.
But the 29-year-old was quick to downplay the idea that he can single-handedly turn around the slumping Canucks' fortunes.
"I've just got to go in and do my job - that's the way it's been since day one that I've been here," he said. "We win as a team. I'm not going to come in here and win a game by myself. We need 20 guys to play as a team and play well and that's the way we've always won here, and that's the way it's going to be from here on out."
And there's no question as to whether Luongo is looking forward to getting back between the pipes for Vancouver.
"I like to be on the ice a lot, and watching the games on TV is just not as fun as playing," he said. "It just feels like opening game of the year all over again. At the same time, I've been feeling good the last few days. We all know that it's a big important game tomorrow."
Sanford, 29, went 7-8 so far this season with a 2.59 goals-against average and .906 save percentage.