A blog posted earlier this week by hockey writer Mark Seidel that accused Taylor Hall and his family of putting pressure on Oilers president Kevin Lowe to give Hall No. 4 has been pulled, and Seidel has apologized.
The Oilers and the first-year forward had denied the report, which said that 'Team Hall' had made a push for Lowe's old number - which hasn't been worn by another Oiler since he retired in 1998.
According to the Edmonton Journal, Robin Brownlee of the website Oilers Nation talked to Lowe, who said the accusations were ridiculous and that nothing of the sort had happened.
"Nothing could be further from the truth. It's utter nonsense, It's shoddy journalism," Lowe said. "(Hall's) dad never even talked about it for one, but Taylor was so respectful of the whole thing, it never even came up.
"Initially, Taylor's first response was he'd just wear whatever number we wanted him to wear," Lowe told Oilers Nation. "I said, 'I think you look good in No. 4. I thought that from the first time I saw you.'"
Seidel's blog was pulled on Friday and he apologized to the Oilers.
"I am fully confident that these events did not happen as I layed (sic) them out in the article,” he wrote.
“I was pretty surprised when I heard it,” Hall told Robert Tychkowski of the Edmonton Sun on Friday. “My dad called me mid-afternoon and told me, ‘There's this article...' I don't care what it says about me, because I can take that, it's more my family because they're not used to that stuff. When they say stuff about my dad, that's kind of hard to take.”
The blog also said Hall and his father operated 'completely on their own schedule and agenda last year in Windsor.'
Hall, taken first overall by the Oilers in June, wore the No. 4 with the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League.
Files from The Edmonton Sun, Edmonton Journal and the website Oilers Nation were used for this report.