TORONTO - One of Todd Bertuzzi's lawyers has confirmed that a "firm and binding settlement" has been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit against Bertuzzi for the former Vancouver Canuck player's attack in 2004 during an NHL game.
Geoff Adair, a lawyer for Bertuzzi, confirmed the news and added that the terms of the settlement are bound by a confidentiality agreement.
"Suffice it to say, Todd Bertuzzi is happy this has arrived at a resolution, as I'm sure all parties are," Adair told ESPN.com when reached by phone early Tuesday evening.
Earlier on Tuesday Adair confirmed the settlement to TSN Senior Correspondent Rick Westhead but added that at that point there was no legally binding agreement yet. "I thought so until 10 minutes ago when I received a disconcerting email that has me uncertain," he told TSN Westhead on Tuesday morning. "I'm now trying to reach that person."
Adair added that the email was not from Moore's lawyer Tim Danson.
The multimillion-dollar lawsuit had been scheduled to go to trial Sept. 8.
"We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email to The Canadian Press on Tuesday afternoon.
The hit happened 10 years ago, when Bertuzzi hit Moore from behind, sending the Colorado Avalanche player crashing face-first to the ice and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae.
Moore alleged the Canucks had put a bounty on his head following his check that left their captain Markus Naslund injured.
Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm for the hit and was sentenced in 2006 to one year probation and 80 hours of community service.
Stay with TSN.ca for more details as they're made available.