Blackhawks defenceman Brent Seabrook told reporters on Monday that he was assessed under the NHL's new concussion protocol guideline after taking three hits in total on one shift - the last of which was from Raffi Torres - after the Canucks forward hit him behind the net earlier in the second period of Vancouver's 3-2 win in Chicago on Sunday night.
Seabrook said that he did not want to go inside to a 'quiet room' to be assessed, but that his trainers forced him to follow the NHL's new mandate.
The protocol was not initiated after the first hit by Torres, even though Seabrook stayed down on the ice for a few seconds. The NHL believes the case was handled appropriately since Seabrook showed no visible disorientation at the time and had no trouble getting to his feet after the Torres hit.
Torres was not suspended for the hit to the head.
For his part, Seabrook thinks the league should have decided on some supplementary discipline for Torres.
"I think with his history, that hit deserves a suspension," said Seabrook to reporters on Monday. "It's a fast game and things happen quick. You've got a split second to make a decision and I don't think he was trying to hit me in the head - but at the same time, if the league's not going to suspend somebody for that, I just don't really understand that.
"I think he kept his elbow in, but he hit the head first," continued Seabrook. "As far as I'm concerned, that's the first thing I felt, it's the only thing I felt. The rest of my body is feeling the rest of it today, but ... last night, all I could really feel was my ear and the way it looks to me was, the head was hit first. Whether he was targeting it or not, he hit the head first."