Even with forward Max Pacioretty's long-term contract out of the way, Marc Bergevin is far from done with re-shaping the Montreal Canadiens this offseason.
One of the very first questions for the Habs' GM was the status of contract talks with restricted free agent P.K. Subban, to which Bergevin simply responded that negotiations were, "ongoing."
RDS reported last month that the Canadiens initially offered a two-year, $5.5 million deal for the young defenceman, numbers that were quickly denied by Subban's camp. "I don't read," Bergevin said, referring to the report. "I just go about my business."
That business included signing Pacioretty to a $27 million contract extension on Monday, locking up their top power forward in Montreal for the next seven years.
"Max is one of the best players at his position in the league," Bergevin told a scrum of reporters on Tuesday. "He's got size, he's a power forward, he's got determination. For us he's a key element in this organization. He's shown Montreal fans that this is the place he wants to play for a long time and be successful, and that's huge."
Bergevin also confirmed that the club has shown some interest in unrestricted free agent forward Shane Doan, but added that the long-time Coyotes captain's first priority was to see if he can stay with Phoenix. "You have to listen when a player of his calibre is available," he explained.
Bergevin said that Doan never visited Montreal to meet with the club, as was reported.
"He might have come, but he didn't tell me," Bergevin said.