It appears that when the Montreal Canadiens open their season at home against the rival Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night, there is a growing likelihood that they will do so without restricted free agent defenceman P.K. Subban.
Subban's agent Don Meehan was contacted by the Montreal Gazette on Tuesday for an update on talks, and the agent's response was not positive.
"No news to report today," Meehan told the Gazette. "We are not close to an agreement."
Subban earned $875,000 last season in the final year of his entry-level contract with the Canadiens. He had seven goals and 29 assists in 81 games for Montreal last season.
"We had a long summer to try and get (a new contract) done, it didn't happen," Subban told TSN last week. "So as far as I'm concerned it's out of my control. I can't offer myself a contract, so at this point now I'm just waiting and making sure that I'm keeping myself in shape so that once I get to training camp I'm ready to go."
The 23-year-old blueliner is not the only prominent restricted free agent yet to sign, as Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn and Colorado Avalanche forward Ryan O'Reilly are also waiting for new deals.
Defenceman Michael Del Zotto, who was also a restricted free agent, signed a two-year deal for $5.1 million with the Rangers on Sunday.