Soccer

Croatia D Simunic loses appeal over World Cup ban

{eot}
The Canadian Press
5/12/2014 10:13:44 AM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

ZAGREB, Croatia -- Croatia defender Josip Simunic lost his appeal at sport's highest court on Monday, ruling him out of the World Cup for leading fans in a pro-Nazi chant after a playoff win.

Announcing the ruling to uphold the 10-match ban, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said it unanimously rejected Simunic's arguments and dismissed his appeal against the FIFA sanction.

Simunic's ban will start when Croatia opens the World Cup against host Brazil in Sao Paulo on June 12.

Simunic's lawyer, Davor Prtenjaca, slammed the ruling.

"This was not the victory of justice, but the power of a big football association. FIFA had its ban based on political, not legal aspects," Prtenjaca said.

Simunic invoked a World War II-era slogan used by Croatia's then-puppet regime following a playoff victory against Iceland in Zagreb last November that qualified the Croatians for the tournament.

After the match, Simunic took a microphone on the field and shouted to supporters: "To the battle, to the battle for the homeland!" The fans responded: "We are ready!"

The slogan was used by Croatia's Ustasha regime, which sent tens of thousands Jews, Serbs and Gypsies to death camps.

"The expression used by Simunic was a clear and unequivocal reference to the call used by the (Ustasas)," CAS said.

FIFA's disciplinary panel has said Simunic's action was discriminatory and offensive. The sanction reflected its commitment to harsher sanctions for racism and discrimination at matches.

"FIFA considers that CAS gives a clear and strong support to FIFA's efforts in stamping out racism in football," football's governing body said in a statement.

Simunic, who plays for Dinamo Zagreb, apologized after previously defending his action. After the initial reaction, he said: "Some people have to learn some history. I'm not afraid. I did nothing wrong."

The 36-year-old Australian-born Simunic, who has played 105 times for Croatia, was a probable selection for his third World Cup. At the 2006 tournament, he was sent off against Australia after being shown three yellow cards by the referee.

His current ban is likely to mean the end of his international playing career.

Simunic is also barred from stadiums where Croatia will play its next 10 official games. He was fined 30,000 Swiss francs (then $33,800) last December by FIFA.

Josip Simunic  (Photo: Alex Grimm/ Getty Images)

zoom

(Photo: Alex Grimm/ Getty Images)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story


Podcasts

TSN 690 oranges @ halftime Aug 19

Joined in studio w/Paul Desbaillets co-founder of annual soccer charity event GOAL MTL. We chat w/Susan Bell, Danny Smiles, UM02 Carlos & Heath Pearce

TSN 690 oranges @ halftime Aug 19: Susan Bell

Fund Development Director of Tyndale St-George discusses GOAL MTL's legacy and the impact the funds raised have on her community

TSN 690 oranges @ halftime Aug 19: Danny Smiles

Runner Up in 2013's Top Chef Canada, Chef to the stars at Osheaga chats about why he actively supports and participates in GOAL MTL


More Podcasts

Premier League Shows on TSN.ca

TSN.ca is Canada's exclusive home to highlight and feature programs from the Barclay's Premier League. Check out the latest programs on VOD below.


Net Busters - EPISODE 1

TSN TweetBox
© 2014
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television