Paul Tracy is set to make his NASCAR Craftsman Truck debut later this year.
His agent, Doug Barnette, confirmed that Tracy is scheduled to compete for Germain Racing at the September 20th race in Las Vegas.
The former Champ Car champion has been on the sidelines following the merger earlier this year between the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series. He was under contract to Gerald Forsythe, who elected not to field a team in the IRL this year, however, its believed he was granted his release following the Long Beach Grand Prix.
The 39 year old Tracy tested a truck for Germain Racing last month in Chicago. Germain Racing is one of the premier teams in the Craftsman Truck Series, fielding entries for Todd Bodine, Justin Marks and Chrissy Wallace. Bodine currently sits second in the championship.
Tracy, however, could be back racing even sooner if plans to field a car for him for next month's IndyCar race in Edmonton get finalized.
Derrick Walker, who attempted to filed an entry for Tracy at the Indianapolis 500, is working on finalizing a sponsorship package within the next week or so to get the Canadian back on track.
Walker mothballed his IndyCar operation after his financing fell through but IRL founder Tony George says he has a car available for Tracy should things get ironed out.
Tracy says he would like to race in Edmonton but long term, it's looking more and more like the opportunities will come from NASCAR.
"I figure (the September 20 race) is an audition for 2009 with those guys, because I think Todd wants to go to the Nationwide series," Tracy tells SpeedTV.com.
Bob Germain says he would consider Tracy an option for next season.