PrintPrint

Report: Chelios agrees to one-year deal with Wings

TSN.ca Staff

9/3/2008 10:39:45 AM

It appears the Detroit Red Wings will retain the services of defencemen Chris Chelios and Kyle Quincey for next season.

According to reports out of Detroit, Chelios has agreed to a one-year deal worth less than last year's $850,000 contract while Quincey is close to signing a two-year deal. Chelios is expected to sign his new deal next week.

"We've basically agreed,'' Holland told MLive.com. "When he gets into town next week, we're going to sign it.''

Veteran winger Darren McCarty is also expected to return to the Red Wings, reportedly agreeing in principle to a two-way contract with the club.

"The deadline is to get it done before camp,'' McCarty told MLive.com. "This is the only place I want to play. .. I'm pretty confident something will get done in the next couple of weeks.''

In other news, forward Tomas Kopecky, who underwent surgery in April to repair a torn ACL, is hoping to be ready for the regular-season opener on Oct. 9 against Toronto. And Tomas Holmstrom said he'll be ready for the start of camp after having surgery for a sports hernia on June 11.

Files from MLive.com were used in this report.