PrintPrint

Former promoter: Montreal F1 race could be back by 2011

The Canadian Press

3/28/2009 1:24:15 PM

MONTREAL - The Canadian Grand Prix could be back on the Formula One schedule by 2011, according to a published report.

Former race promoter Normand Legault said in Saturday's edition of Montreal La Presse that he's optimistic the race will be back in the city even though the economic downturn may negatively effect F1 auto racing.

He adds Montreal successfully hosted the race for some 30 years and the city already has the infrastructure in place.

Legault says the city also falls in a time zone convenient for broadcasting the race in Europe.

The Canadian Grand Prix was dropped from the 2009 Formula One calendar last year.