The Capitals were active on trade deadline day, acquiring Milan Jurcina, Joe Corvo, Eric Belanger and Scott Walker. The Oilers traded Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and a third round pick and sent Lubomir Visnovsky to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney. The Hurricanes were also busy. Here's a summary of the trades made on Wednesday:
- Boston traded Derek Morris to Phoenix a fourth round pick in 2011.
- Toronto traded Martin Skoula to New Jersey for a fifth round pick in 2010.
- Carolina traded Scott Walker to Washington for seventh-round pick.
- Tampa Bay traded Jeff Halpern to Los Angeles for Ted Purcell and a third-round draft pick.
- Minnesota trades Eric Belanger to Washington for second round pick.
- Buffalo traded Clarke MacArthur to Atlanta for third round pick and fourth round pick.
- Washington acquired Milan Jurcina from Columbus for a sixth round pick.
- Toronto traded Joey MacDonald to Anaheim for a seventh-round pick in 2011.
- Carolina traded Andrew Alberts to Vancouver for a third round pick.
- Columbus traded Fredrik Modin to Los Angeles for a conditional draft pick.
- Calgary trades Dustin Boyd to Nashville for fourth round pick.
- Pittsburgh traded Chris Peluso to Toronto for sixth round draft pick.
- Phoenix sent Chad Kolarik to Columbus for Alex Picard
- Anaheim traded Petteri Nokelainen to Phoenix for a draft pick.
Martin Skoula's time in Toronto was basically non-existent. Toronto had acquired Skoula as part of the Alexei Ponikarovsky with Pittsburgh on Tuesday night but was unloaded today to the Devils.
Prior to the Olympic break, during which the NHL froze all trade activity, a couple of big deals were made. The New Jersey Devils made a big splash, acquiring sniper Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela and a second round pick from the Atlanta Thrashers for John Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, plus first and second round draft picks.
The Canadian teams have also been active this year.
Steve Tambellini, the GM of the last-place Edmonton Oilers, sent Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for a second round pick.
On Tuesday, Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray traded a second round pick to the Islanders for veteran defenceman Andy Sutton in an effort to shore up the Senators blue line. Earlier, he acquired Matt Cullen from Carolina to get more scoring.
Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier has made two deals since taking over the Canadiens from Bob Gainey on February 9, first acquiring Dominic Moore from Florida for a second rounder in 2011, and on Tuesday sending Matt D'Agostini to St. Louis for prospect Aaron Palushaj.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been quiet this season. He has made one trade, and that came in the summer when the Canucks received Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich from San Jose for Daniel Rahimi and Patrick White.