PrintPrint

Report: Forsberg comeback with MODO not happening

TSN.ca Staff

12/25/2010 6:51:53 PM

A rumoured Peter Forsberg comeback to competitive hockey will not be happening with MODO or the NHL.

According to a story on hockeyespressen.se, Forsberg missed a practice with MODO as the team prepared for a Sunday tilt with AIK.
The story said that Forsberg left a message with MODO, which was translated to read: "There will be no comeback - the foot is not for games."

MODO general manager and former NHLer Markus Naslund confirmed that Forsberg's comeback attempt was over.

"I've had a talk with him today and he simply says that it does not feel good enough for him to build on this," Naslund said in the translated Swedish report. "It's not an issue, and it's important for us to put the cards on the table now so we can get some peace and quiet (around) the team."

The 36-year old Forsberg has not played in the NHL since a nine-game stint with the Colorado Avalanche in the 2007-08 season. He has battled injury concerns throughout his illustrious career, and a recurring foot injury limited him to just 23 games last year with MODO of the Swedish Elite League.

Forsberg's latest attempt at a comeback comes on the heels of last spring's report that he was trying to join the Philadelphia Flyers.

Forsberg told Expressen that he had been offered a contract to join the team on March 2nd. 

Forsberg told Expressen that Flyers' general manager Paul Holmgren approached him about joining the Flyers for the remainder of the regular season when both Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne were struggling with injuries. Forsberg stated that only his own injuries prevented him from joining Philly.