PrintPrint

Canada's Martin withdraws from World Baseball Classic

The Associated Press

2/24/2013 4:35:13 PM

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Russell Martin won't be moonlighting at shortstop after all.

Pittsburgh's new catcher says he will not play for Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic because Canadian and Pirates officials don't feel comfortable with him moving from his normal position.

Martin, who is from East York, Ontario, said Sunday he would rather not tax his body by catching during the WBC. The three-time All-Star was drafted as a third baseman by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2002 before he was moved to catcher.

Martin said last week he was looking forward to playing shortstop for Team Canada. The 30-year-old signed a $17 million, two-year contract with the Pirates in December and he says he'll use the extra time in spring training to get familiar with Pittsburgh's pitching staff.