PrintPrint

Blue Bombers to start Hall vs. Ticats on Friday

TSN.ca Staff

8/13/2013 10:30:57 AM

It seems the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have not seen the end of their week of change.

According to TSN Winnipeg beat reporter Sara Orlesky, reports emerged late last night that the Bombers' quarterbacks had been informed that Max Hall will get the start for their Friday night match-up against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The announcement comes just 11 days after head coach Tim Burke named Justin Goltz the team's starting quarterback for the season, a move that saw incumbent starter Buck Pierce demoted to third-string duties.

On August 1 Burke said, “[w]e want to have continuity with our offence and we feel like Justin will give us a better chance for week in and week out continuity.”

Between then and now, however, the Bombers have undergone a serious front office overhaul.

On Friday the team announced it had dismissed both general manager Joe Mack and chief executive officer Wade Miller. The team followed those announcements up earlier Monday by appointing former Ticats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille to its offensive coaching staff.

When asked about the decision Monday, Goltz did not hide his displeasure.

“Obviously I'm not very fond of it,” Goltz told reporters. “I don't really understand it. I think it was poorly managed, but I'm 25 years old, I feel like I've got a bright future and that the best days of my football [career] are ahead of me.”

“I wasn't really given an explanation. I know that everybody wants to win now and that there's a lot of pressure on people's jobs. I think that everybody's trying to search for a fast fix and I don't necessarily think that one person's going to come in here and turn around our offence.”

Burke would offer up that the decision came from his team's offensive staff when asked about the decision.

“Gary [Crowton] and the coaching staff on offence unanimously and passionately chose Max to be the quarterback,” Burke told reporters. “There was no pressure from anybody to make that decision.”

The shuffle did place Pierce back up to the back-up role in the team's quarterback depth chart, but the 31-year-old veteran was not taking much solace in his improved lot behind centre.

“They made a very rash decision, the powers that be, after Week 4 saying that I'm number three,” Pierce said Monday. “I think a lot of people are making decisions very quickly.”

Winnipeg remains last in the East Division with a 1-5 record on the season, having lost their last four in a row.

Pierce and Goltz have combined for 109 completions on 184 passing attempts for a total of 1, 321 yards so far in 2013. The pair has combined for four touchdowns while tossing seven interceptions.

Hall is yet to appear in a CFL game over his professional career.