Lowry scores OT winner as IceCaps edge Sound Tigers

The Canadian Press

3/8/2014 9:03:01 PM

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- St. John's IceCaps defenceman Ben Chiarot's night went from despair to elation on Saturday, as his team beat the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3-2 in overtime in American Hockey League action.

Chiarot found himself on the end of a wide open puck just outside the slot with the third period winding down, but when he went to connect with the shot his stick exploded.

Chiarot got a chance to redeem himself when he set up the game winner with 24.9 seconds left in overtime.

"To keep this streak going, it feels great," he said, referring to the last nine games in which St. John's has walked away with at least a point. "The boys are really excited."

Adam Lowry scored the overtime winner, on a partial breakaway with a forehand-to-backhand move before hitting the backhand shot high, with 24.9 seconds left in the extra frame.

Eric O'Dell and Andrew Gordon also scored for St. John's (36-19-4).

Scooter Vaughan and Aaron Ness scored the Sound Tigers (26-27-6).

The teams combined for 48 penalty minutes, which shaped the way the game played out.

"Not everyone gets out (to play)," Chiarot said. "Penalty killers don't usually play on the power play (and vice-versa). Depending on which way the calls are going, guys can get a little stuff on the bench. It seemed to even itself out in the end and the guys stayed in it."

Bridgeport opened the scoring 7:00 into the game through Vaughan, who smashed a one-time slapshot in from the point on the power play.

O'Dell tied the game for the IceCaps at the 12:48 mark of the first, finding a loose puck in front after Jason Jaffray had wrapped around the net.

Ness added a short-handed goal for the Sound Tigers at the 13:36 mark of the first, gaining the zone and sniping high blocker with a wrist shot from the slot.

The IceCaps tied the game on a power-play goal from Gordon, who wired a slapshot from the point high blocker at the 5:36 mark of the second period.

Gordon's goal was the turning point of the game, according to IceCaps head coach Keith McCambridge.

"Our guys did a good job realizing it when we were down one goal," McCambridge said. "Andrew Gordon's goal was a real big one for us to build some momentum. You have to give their goaltender credit, he was excellent at fighting through traffic."

IceCaps goalie Michael Hutchinson made 14 saves. Kevin Poulin stopped 33 shots for the Sound Tigers.