The Capitals were active on trade deadline day, acquiring Milan Jurcina, Joe Corvo, Eric Belanger and Scott Walker. The Oilers traded Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and a third round pick and sent Lubomir Visnovsky to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney. The Hurricanes were also busy. Here's a summary of the trades made on Wednesday:
- Boston traded Derek Morris to Phoenix a fourth round pick in 2011.
- Toronto traded Martin Skoula to New Jersey for a fifth round pick in 2010.
- Florida traded Dennis Seidenberg and Matthew Bartkowski to Boston for Craig Weller, Byron Bitz and a second-round pick in 2010.
- Carolina traded Aaron Ward to Anaheim for goaltender Justin Pogge and a fourth-round draft pick.
- Carolina traded Scott Walker to Washington for seventh-round pick.
- Vancouver traded Pierre-Cedric Labrie to the St. Louis Blues for Yan Stastny.
- Colorado traded Wojtek Wolski to Phoenix for Peter Mueller and Kevin Porter.
- Detroit traded Kris Newbury to the New York Rangers for Jordan Owens (minor league trade).
- Vancouver traded Mathieu Schneider (from the Manitoba Moose) to Phoenix for Sean Zimmerman and a conditional sixth-round draft pick.
- Tampa Bay traded Jeff Halpern to Los Angeles for Ted Purcell and a third-round draft pick.
- Minnesota trades Eric Belanger to Washington for second round pick.
- Calgary trades Curtis McElhinney to Anaheim for Vesa Toskala.
- Buffalo trades Nathan Paetsch and a second round draft pick to Columbus for Raffi Torres.
- Buffalo traded Clarke MacArthur to Atlanta for third round pick and fourth round pick.
- Washington acquired Milan Jurcina from Columbus for a sixth round pick.
- Maple Leafs traded Lee Stempniak to Phoenix for Matt Jones, a fourth round pick and a seventh round pick.
- Washington traded Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala and a second round draft pick to Carolina for Joe Corvo.
- Toronto traded Joey MacDonald to Anaheim for a seventh-round pick in 2011.
- Carolina traded Andrew Alberts to Vancouver for a third round pick.
- Columbus traded Mathieu Roy to Florida for Matt Rust.
- Columbus traded Fredrik Modin to Los Angeles for a conditional draft pick.
- Edmonton traded Lubomir Visnovsky to Anaheim for Ryan Whitney.
- Calgary trades Dustin Boyd to Nashville for fourth round pick.
- Pittsburgh traded Chris Peluso to Toronto for sixth round draft pick.
- Edmonton traded Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and a third round pick.
- Hurricanes traded Stephane Yelle and Harrison Reed to Colorado for Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll and a sixth-round pick.
- Phoenix sent Chad Kolarik to Columbus for Alex Picard
- The New York Rangers traded goalie Miika Wiikman and a seventh rounder in 2011 to Phoenix for veteran defenceman Anders Eriksson.
- Anaheim traded Petteri Nokelainen to Phoenix for a draft pick.
-Detroit traded Andy Delmore to Calgary for forward Riley Armstrong.
Martin Skoula's time in Toronto was basically non-existent. Toronto had acquired Skoula as part of the Alexei Ponikarovsky with Pittsburgh on Tuesday night but was unloaded today to the Devils.
Prior to the Olympic break, during which the NHL froze all trade activity, a couple of big deals were made. The New Jersey Devils made a big splash, acquiring sniper Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela and a second round pick from the Atlanta Thrashers for John Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, plus first and second round draft picks.
The Canadian teams have also been active this year.
The Flames and Maple Leafs shook things up with a major exchange on January 31. Toronto got Dion Phaneuf, Keith Aulie and Fredrik Sjostrom for Ian White, Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman and Jamal Mayers.
Toronto then flipped Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake to Anaheim in return for Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Toskala has since been sent to Calgary.
Flames GM Darryl Sutter also got Ales Kotalik and Christopher Higgins from the Rangers in exchange for Olli Jokinen and Brandon Prust.
Steve Tambellini, the GM of the last-place Edmonton Oilers, sent Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for a second round pick.
On Tuesday, Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray traded a second round pick to the Islanders for veteran defenceman Andy Sutton in an effort to shore up the Senators blue line. Earlier, he acquired Matt Cullen from Carolina to get more scoring.
Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier has made two deals since taking over the Canadiens from Bob Gainey on February 9, first acquiring Dominic Moore from Florida for a second rounder in 2011, and on Tuesday sending Matt D'Agostini to St. Louis for prospect Aaron Palushaj.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been quiet this season. He has made one trade, and that came in the summer when the Canucks received Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich from San Jose for Daniel Rahimi and Patrick White.