Dustin Penner's time in Edmonton has come to an end.
The Oilers dealt the 28-year-old forward to the Los Angeles Kings on Monday in exchange for a 2011 first-round draft pick, a 2012 conditional second-round pick, and defenceman Colten Teubert.
Penner has one year left on his five-year, $21.5 million deal that he signed with Edmonton as a restricted free agent in a controversial deal that brought him over from the Anaheim Ducks.
The Oilers also traded defenceman Shawn Belle to the Colorado Avalanche for defenceman Kevin Montgomery.
The other five Canadian clubs each made at least one trade as well.
The Vancouver Canucks made two deals to prepare for their playoff run. Vancouver picked up forward Chris Higgins from the Florida Panthers for defenceman Evan Oberg and a 2013 third-round draft pick. They also acquired forwards Maxim Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp from the Anaheim Ducks for forward Joel Perrault and a 2012 third-round draft pick.
The Ottawa Senators made their latest in a series of trades over the past few weeks by dealing defenceman Chris Campoli and a conditional seventh-round pick to the Chicago Blackhawks for forward Ryan Potulny and a conditional second-round pick.
The Calgary Flames picked up forward Fredrik Modin from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for a seventh-round draft pick.
The Montreal Canadiens also dealt with the Thrashers, acquiring goalie Drew MacIntyre for defenceman Brett Festerling.
And the Toronto Maple Leafs made one deal as well, sending forward John Mitchell to the New York Rangers for a seventh-round draft pick.
Elsewhere, the Florida Panthers made the most noise overall on deadline day by completing four trades.
The Panthers dealt veteran forward Radek Dvorak and a fifth-round draft pick to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrick Rissmiller.
Florida then moved defenceman Dennis Wideman to the Washington Capitals for prospect forward Jake Hauswirth and a 2011 third-round draft pick. They dealt blueliner Bryan Allen to the Carolina Hurricanes for forward Sergei Samsonov, and later sent Higgins to the Canucks.
According to capgeek.com, the Panthers have reduced their salary cap commitment to just $18.7 million for next season and have only 10 players signed. They are $24.7 million under the current cap floor as mandated by the NHL's collective agreement.
In other transactions, the Columbus Blue Jackets traded defenceman Rostislav Klesla and forward Dane Byers to the Phoenix Coyotes for forward Scottie Upshall and defenceman Sami Lepisto. Columbus also sent forward Tom Sestito to the Philadelphia Flyers for forwards Greg Moore and Michael Chaput.
The New Jersey Devils sent veteran forward Jason Arnott to the Washington Capitals for forward David Steckel and a second-round draft pick.
The Minnesota Wild traded goalie Anton Khudobin to the Boston Bruins for defenceman Jeff Penner and forward Mikko Lehtonen.
And the St. Louis Blues sent forward Brad Winchester to the Anaheim Ducks for a third-round draft pick.
There were several players who were considered on the market, but did not move as Monday's deadline passed at 3pm et.
The Dallas Stars confirmed shortly after the deadline that they were keeping forward Brad Richards. Richards topped most lists as one of the more attractive players who might have been available as a rental. He is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Other players who will become unrestricted this summer, but did not move, included forward Milan Hejduk of the Avalanche, defenceman Joni Pitkanen of the Hurricanes, and goalies including Florida's Tomas Vokoun, Toronto's J.S. Giguere, the Blues' Ty Conklin, and Mathieu Garon of Columbus.
Other players who garnered some speculation but were also not dealt include Ales Hemsky of the Oilers, John-Michael Liles of the Avalanche, and Robyn Regehr of the Flames.
Complete list of Deadline Trades - Feb. 28, 2011
- Florida Panthers trade F Radek Dvorak and 5th-round pick (2011) to the Atlanta Thrashers for F Niclas Bergfors and F Patrick Rissmiller
- Florida Panthers trade D Dennis Wideman to the Washington Capitals for F Jake Hauswirth and a 3rd-round draft pick (2011)
- Columbus Blue Jackets trade D Rostislav Klesla and F Dane Byers to the Phoenix Coyotes for F Scottie Upshall and D Sami Lepisto
- Edmonton Oilers trade D Shawn Belle to the Colorado Avalanche for D Kevin Montgomery
- Ottawa Senators trade D Chris Campoli and a conditional 7th-round pick to the Chicago Blackhawks for F Ryan Potulny and conditional 2nd-round pick
- Florida Panthers trade D Bryan Allen to the Carolina Hurricanes for F Sergei Samsonov
- St. Louis Blues trade F Brad Winchester to the Anaheim Ducks for 3rd-round draft pick
- Edmonton Oilers trade F Dustin Penner to the Los Angeles Kings for D Colten Teubert, 1st-Round pick (2011), and conditional 3rd-round pick (2012)
- Toronto Maple Leafs trade F John Mitchell to the New York Rangers for a 7th-round draft pick
- Columbus Blue Jackets trade F Tom Sestito to the Philadelphia Flyers for F Greg Moore and F Michael Chaput
- Atlanta Thrashers trade F Fredrik Modin to the Calgary Flames for a 7th-round draft pick
- Florida Panthers trade F Chris Higgins to the Vancouver Canucks for D Evan Oberg and a 3rd-round draft pick (2013)
- Anaheim Ducks trade F Maxim Lapierre and F MacGregor Sharp to the Vancouver Canucks for F Joel Perrault and a 3rd-round draft pick (2012)
- New Jersey Devils trade F Jason Arnott to the Washington Capitals for F David Steckel and a 2nd-round draft pick
- Atlanta Thrashers trade G Drew MacIntyre to the Montreal Canadiens for D Brett Festerling
- Minnesota Wild trade G Anton Khudobin to the Boston Bruins for D Jeff Penner and F Mikko Lehtonen