MLB
Toronto Blue JaysOpens in new window

Shapiro confident of new deal with Blue Jays

Published: 

If Mark Shapiro is concerned about his contract status, he’s not letting on.

Speaking at the team’s end-of-season availability on Thursday, the Toronto Blue Jays president said he expects a new deal to agreed upon in the near future.

“I think we’ll likely work something out soon,” Shapiro said, noting that negotiations were put on hold due to the team’s run to the World Series.

A 58-year-old native of Cambridge, MA, Shapiro has been at the helm of the team since the fall of 2015, succeeding longtime president Paul Beeston. He had previously spent two decades in the Cleveland organization, working his way up from player development director to general manager to, finally, president in 2010. That December, Shapiro hired Cleveland vice-president of player personnel, Ross Atkins, as the team’s new GM.

Shapiro’s contract with the Jays is believed to expire in early 2026.