Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Brandon Carlo has suffered a setback in his recovery from a lower-body injury, head coach Craig Berube told reporters Monday.
Carlo is heading back to Toronto for examination. Berube added the Leafs hope to have more information on the veteran blueliner in the next 24 hours.
Craig Berube says Brandon Carlo has suffered a setback in his recovery from a lower-body injury and returned to Toronto
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) December 1, 2025
They hope to have more information in the next 24 hours @TSN_Sports
Carlo last played on Nov. 13 in a game against the Los Angeles Kings. He was originally considered day-to-day before eventually being placed on the injured reserve list retroactive to that date.
Carlo practised with the Leafs last week in Washington, D.C., but was absent from Monday’s session in Florida ahead of their matchup with the Panthers Tuesday evening.
He has two assists in 18 games so far this season, his first full year as a member of the Maple Leafs. Carlo came over in a deal with the Boston Bruins at last season’s trade deadline in exchange for a first-rounder, a fourth-rounder and prospect Fraser Minten.
Carlo is one of many Leafs to miss time this season due to injury. He’s joined on IR by goaltender Anthony Stolarz and defenceman Chris Tanev, while forwards Auston Matthews and Matthew Knies have also missed time this year, among others.
Ekman-Larsson, Benoit practise Monday
Defencemen Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Simon Benoit were each on the ice for Monday’s session in Florida.
Ekman-Larsson was hurt late in Saturday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but Berube told reporters after the game he didn’t believe it was serious.
The 34-year-old blueliner is in the midst of a nine-game point streak, tallying a goal and an assist Saturday.
Benoit missed the game against the Penguins due to a person matter.



