NHL
San Jose SharksOpens in new window
Michael MisaOpens in new window

Misa says upstart Sharks are ‘hungry’ after coming close to playoff appearance last season

Published: 

The San Jose Sharks will be one of the more intriguing teams entering the 2026-27 NHL season.

Despite missing the playoffs in each of the previous seven seasons, the Sharks took a significant leap forward last year, finishing with a 39-35-9 record and 86 points, a 34-point improvement from 2024-25.

The campaign was highlighted by centre Macklin Celebrini becoming one of the best players in the NHL, producing a franchise-best season of 45 goals and 70 assists for 115 points over 82 games as the Sharks finished four points out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Forward Michael Misa, selected by the Sharks second overall in the 2025 NHL Draft, had a solid rookie season with nine goals and 12 assists over 45 games.

The 19-year-old said he is excited to get going in his second season.

“We were almost there last year, missed it by a couple points. I think everyone coming back is hungry and I think we got a good chance of hopefully making a playoff push this year,” said Misa on Friday morning during an appearance on TSN 1050’s First Up. “In terms of expectations, I think it’s just best to kind of take it day-by-day and I’m excited to get going.”

Misa spent part of the summer training in Vancouver with Celebrini as well as in cottage country in central Ontario, taking part in the off-season program led by former NHL star Simon Gagne.

“It’s pretty cool to be in Muskoka, train in the morning and workout and skate then hit the lake in the afternoon or go golfing up there. It’s some of the best scenery, so definitely a spot I like to be,” said Misa.

The Oakville, Ont., native had a strong three-run with the Ontario Hockey League’s Saginaw Spirit before joining the NHL, capped by netting 62 goals and 72 assists over 65 games in 2024-25.

Misa won bronze with Canada’s World Junior team in 2026, scoring two goals and five assists over seven games.

Misa is part of an exciting, young core in San Jose led by the 20-year-old centre Celebrini and 21-year-old centre Will Smith.

Left winger Ivar Stenberg, selected second overall in the 2026 NHL Draft, and Keaton Verhoeff, selected ninth overall, could join the that group this season as high draft picks.

General manager Mike Grier also made an effort to add a veteran presence this summer, signing left winger Mason Marchment, 31, to a five-year, $33.75 million contract and defenceman Jacob Trouba, 32, to a four-year, $33 million deal.

The Sharks also acquired blueliners Michael Kesselring, 26, from the Buffalo Sabres and Darnell Nurse, 31 from the Edmonton Oilers.

Misa says the dynamic of younger and older players on this year’s team will be beneficial.

“Yeah, it’s been good. I know we were trying to get some fantasy football going and stuff, but I think when you get a mix of young guys and older guys, it’s good to kind of learn off those guys and get to know them, ask them for advice and what they’ve kind of been through,“ explained Misa. ”I’m just looking forward to kind of meeting them in a couple of days here.”

The Sharks begin pre-season play on Sept. 20 before kicking off the regular season on Oct. 1 with a clash against the visiting Florida Panthers.