TORONTO — The Toronto Raptors game against the visiting Indiana Pacers on Saturday was suspended for 70 minutes and fans evacuated due to a speaker fire at Scotiabank Arena.

Fans were ordered to leave the building with 4:05 left in the first half, and the Raptors up 66-38.

An hour later, players returned to the court for a 10-minute warmup before finishing the first half. Halftime was to be cut to seven-and-a-half minutes.

A Raptors spokesperson described it as a "small electrical fire" and video showed an overhead speaker on fire above Section 103 in the east end of the arena. The concern, according to the spokesperson, was about the smell and the smoke.

A fire official in a harness hung from the arena ceiling with a fire extinguisher, ensuring the troublesome speaker fire was no longer a danger.

The first sign something was amiss was late in the first quarter when fans in the upper bowl of the east grandstand noticed smoke. A lower-bowl section was evacuated, and then firefighters gathered in the empty section, staring up at the ceiling. Minutes later, another lower bowl section was instructed to leave.

Public address announcer Herbie Kuhn was instructed to turn his mic off for safety purposes for several minutes. He could be heard testing the system multiple times late in the second quarter, but the main speakers above the stands didn't appear to be operating.

Late in the second quarter, after fire officials gathered with referees and teams on the court, the players headed to the locker-rooms.

Eventually, Kuhn announced the Toronto Fire Services' evacuation order. Fans booed loudly at the announcement.

The Raptors said tickets will be refunded at point of purchase within 30 days.

Below is MLSE's full statement on the incident:

“Saturday’s Toronto Raptors game against the Indiana Pacers at Scotiabank Arena was suspended with 4:05 remaining in the second quarter due to a fire in an overhead speaker. Under the direction of Toronto Fire Services, and out of an abundance of caution, fans were evacuated from the building while the incident was managed. The game resumed approximately 40 minutes later without fans in attendance. MLSE and the Toronto Raptors thank Toronto Fire Services and Toronto Police Services for their assistance and thank all fans for their patience and orderly evacuation. Refunds for tonight’s game will be completed to original ticket purchasers within 30 days.

The necessary venue repairs will be executed in time to allow the Toronto Maple Leafs game to proceed as scheduled on Sunday at 7 p.m. against the Florida Panthers.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 26, 2022.